PeerBlock, LLC - (Open Source)
PeerBlock is a software utility that creates a safety net for blocking access to viruses preventing the lose of data from the hard disk.
PeerBlock is an appropriate solution for protecting the computer against all the threats that may appear from the Internet. The application is responsible for monitoring and/or blocking connections from the computer by filtering "IP" for all incoming and outgoing communications. The application is based on IP lists created by the user referenced as harmful and blocks all communication from or directed to them.
PeerBlock can effectively monitor the IP communications and detect / block the activity peer-to-peer, intrusive advertising, zombies communications, etc.. The software can even block all calls from a particular country. It also protects the operating system against spyware that enter the system without your knowledge .
In addition, the program can be used for the security of networked PCs . For this PeerBlock filters data flows between different areas of trust. This may particularly apply to Internet connections and internal networks.
PeerBlock has also a virus database and malicious IP blacklists updated regularly which makes the protection of the computer even stronger.
* Signed Driver - We now have a signed driver! If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or 7, you will no longer need to test-sign the driver, or hit F8 during boot, or anything else. It should all just work!
* iBlocklist Lists - We've updated our standard list URLs to point at iblocklist.com lists instead of the original peerguardian.sourceforge.net ones. They are faster, and are much more reliable - no more "Error contacting URL" messages! We will also upgrade your pre-existing lists from sourceforge.net hosted ones to iblocklist.com ones. Also note that the "Gov" list has been removed, since its contents were merged with the "P2P" list long ago.
* Installer Rewrite - Our newest Dev Team member, XhmikosR, has pretty much completely rewritten the installer from scratch. Most importantly, it should actually work now, even during uninstall! (Not that you'll ever want to uninstall PeerBlock, of course, but just in case...)
* Updated List Manager - Reworked this window a bit, to make it easier to get back to the lists originally presented to you in the Startup Wizard.
* Allowed Connections Displayed - By default, the "Show allowed connections" option will be disabled. (This is due to performance reasons, as the tool will consume considerably more CPU if displaying of allowed connections is enabled.) We are still logging the first 9 allowed packets though, so that you know that we're actually working!
* Save Settings - We've added a "Save" button to the settings panel, so that you can be sure your settings updates have been saved.
* List Verification - After downloading an updated list, we'll now make sure that the file contains at least one ip-address range before we'll overwrite your old list. This way you will be protected against your lists being corrupted while downloading them.