Avast Software - (Non-Commercial Freeware)
Avast! Free Antivirus protects the computer from malicious programs for free.
Avast! Free Antivirus is one of the most used free security software solutions. It is an effective tool for security benefit, in addition to its anti-virus functionality, as well as a rootkit antispyware engine.
The software offers a new and fluid modern interfaceÂ as well as a plugin for Do Not Track browser indicating the presence of malware and phishing sites. It only remains to introduce Rescue Disk, the new module to create disk image of the Avast! installation on removable media. With its help, it is possible to always clean and restore the PC in case of crashing.
Avast! is continuously updating virus database being in permanent connection with the laboratory (in the cloud), which thus provides an immediate response to the new virus signatures.
Avast! Free Antivirus provides protection in real time on the actions performed by the user navigation, opening documents, running programs, e- mails, instant messaging and peer pairs clients.
# Core product changes
* Fully rewritten the WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore. I.e. no more routing of all HTTP traffic through the AvastSvc.exe process - which should hopefully result in no more conflicts with various firewalls (especially older firewalls that can't handle transparent proxies) and overall improvement in stability and performance. Besides that (and this is really exciting) it allows us to see and detect more threats (the original webshield had some limitations).
* The Firewall component (in IS and Premier) has also changed dramatically. More compatible with other applications, such as Java and various VPN services.
* The installer/updater has been improved to allow more reliable installation in case of infected machines. The installer is now protected by the avast self-defense driver from the very beginning, making it harder for active malware to kill it (if you have problems starting the installer in the first place, it may be a good idea to try to rename the executable to a random name first)
* The changes in the File System Shield's driver should result in faster performance, especially in the copy files and install programs scenarios.
* The Browser Cleanup tool to be able to rip off even the more stubborn toolbars and other "PUBEs" (Pontentially Unwanted Browser Extensions :))
* Fixed a whole bunch of bugs reported in the last couple of months. Especially if you encountered a problem with R1, I suggest you try this new version, chances are that the problem is resolved there.
* For trialware users, added an interactive tutorial that explains all the features of the product in a straightforward, concise manner.
# In addition to the core, there's two more things included in this version:
* Connectivity to the new avast! GrimeFighter product. GrimeFighter is our take on PC Optimization / tuneup and is the result of the Jumpshot acquisition that we did earlier this year. This will be a standalone product (sold separately) but has some connections into Avast. It is really a cool product (and I encourage everyone to give it a try) - technically, it's Linux based, although you wouldn't be able to tell as it's perfectly skinned and does a good job at hiding all the complexities.
* SafePrice is a new, optional module of the Avast browser plugins. It's designed to combine security (hence the "safe" part) with best deals (hence the "price") into one, easy-to-use module. It's pretty silent (almost invisible) unless you search for a specific product -- in which case, it would pop up a price comparison and allow you to pick one of the deals in the trusted stores. The feature can be turned on or off through the browser plugin settings.