Scribus - ( Open Source)
Scribus is a simple and free solution for creating great looking documents of all kinds.
Scribus is a free desktop publishing software, distributed under the GNU GPL license. It offers many features that sometimes equal or exceed those of its commercial competitors.
Although the Windows version suffer slowdowns and plant some rare moments, we must not forget that Scribus is a completely free software, which is not the case of Quark Xpress and InDesign. In terms of features, the three programs have the same and only the speed of implementation varies, commercial software here have their best advantage because they are better optimized Scribus.
The layout can be done block by block in a very precise way, to one hundredth of a millimeter. Another interesting point of Scribus, management layers that allows you to work more thoroughly the document.
Scribus offers a good solution for desktop publishing, offering all the basic features and although a little very close to Linux, relatively correct interface , color management (CMYK separations, ICC profiles, etc), Import / export SVG, EPS, etc.It offers the possibility of creating a diary when there are multiple items, providing the tools developed to facilitateÂ insertion of images and tables.
Scribus is a suitable application for the production of booklets, books and magazines.
* Most Important Changes
- PDF/X-1a export.
- The Barcode plug-in has been updated to reflect the latest changes in the underlying Barcode Writer in Pure PostScript (BWIPP).
- The Autoquote script has been rewritten and enhanced. It now provides more options and adds thin spaces to French texts where appropriate.
- A script to align images in frames has been added.
- Full support of the OpenICC Directory Proposal
- The handling of transparencies in Photoshop-generated TIFF files has been improved.
- Page borders can now act as guides (and thus be used for snapping of items).
- The CMYK color palette created by the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) for newspaper advertisements has been integrated into Scribus.
- A new color palette for professional geographers has been added.
- Export to various bitmap formats has been re-enabled on Mac OS X.
- Several issues related to the user interface and canvas display have been resolved.
- Adjustments for Windows 8.x.
- An issue with the spellchecker, resulting in a crash, has been resolved.
- Documentation and translation updates and improvements.